Reconstructing neurons from thousands of images is typically a very dull, repetitive and labor intensive task. Some would say that the long periods of monotony, broken by occasional excitement caused by an unexpected discovery, is enough to drive you insane. Yet it is how I spent much of my time. Either because I have gone crazy or more likely out of a need to amuse myself with the task I have started to notice faces in the micrographs. This is not all that surprising really. As humans we are really pre-programmed to recognize anything that has the same proportions as a face… all we need are two dots for eyes something that looks like a mouth in the right places. As mitochondria are typically tube shaped they can very easily substitute for a mouth or a pair of eyes in an image, so most of them time these are what construct the features of the face. Sometimes, the inner membranes of the mitochondria even stain in such a way as to resemble teeth in the mouth! Perhaps it is a reflection of optimism that the vast majority of faces that I notice are smiley faces. For anyone that is amused, I’ve started collecting them and have uploaded them to a Flickr gallery. Click HERE for the link!
- RT @Numenta: Two neurons forming a synapse. The electron microscopy on the left and the 3D reconstruction on the right. By Seung Lab- @Seba… 9 hours ago
- @HHMINEWS Oh, Desmoscolex are cool nematodes.. with very cool faces! antsbeeswasps.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/nem… 9 hours ago
- RT @RusanLab: Deadline is 9/29. We hire 10-20 NIH Tenure-Track Investigator each year. irp.nih.gov/careers/trans-… 17 hours ago
- @mh_lab @nature Congratulations! 1 day ago
- RT @mh_lab: Our connectomic analysis in the entorhinal cortex now online @nature nature.com/nature/journal… -precise synapses within a wild ne… 1 day ago
- RT @albertcardona: "at least 30% of the output synapses of excitatory neurons are made onto other excitatory targets" in L2 of medial entor… 1 day ago
- RT @SebastianSeung: Congrats to my student @kisukkevinlee now number one on both @cremi_challenge and @SNEMI3D connectomics leaderboards ht… 2 days ago