Reconstructing neurons from thousands of images is typically a very dull, repetitive and labor intensive task. Some would say that the long periods of monotony, broken by occasional excitement caused by an unexpected discovery, is enough to drive you insane. Yet it is how I spent much of my time. Either because I have gone crazy or more likely out of a need to amuse myself with the task I have started to notice faces in the micrographs. This is not all that surprising really. As humans we are really pre-programmed to recognize anything that has the same proportions as a face… all we need are two dots for eyes something that looks like a mouth in the right places. As mitochondria are typically tube shaped they can very easily substitute for a mouth or a pair of eyes in an image, so most of them time these are what construct the features of the face. Sometimes, the inner membranes of the mitochondria even stain in such a way as to resemble teeth in the mouth! Perhaps it is a reflection of optimism that the vast majority of faces that I notice are smiley faces. For anyone that is amused, I’ve started collecting them and have uploaded them to a Flickr gallery. Click HERE for the link!
- RT @Monika_K_Scholz: I am looking for a PhD and a postdoc to work with me on feeding and foraging behavior in C. elegans. Startdate is flex… 2 days ago
- @Seeker talks about mapping brains, partly featuring our connectomics team: youtube.com/watch?v=qlJa6q… 3 days ago
- RT @SteveBoyer5000: If you want to DO something about the #ClimateCrisis, donate to @JayInslee’s campaign. He’s less than 5,000 donations… 3 days ago
- RT @tomkazimiers: It's finally possible to animate sections of image stacks in @catmaid's 3D Viewer. This allows to create videos like this… 4 days ago
- RT @stardazed0: An interactive reconstruction of an electron microscopy fly brain using automated segmentation: bit.ly/2X0aL7Q. Le… 4 days ago
- @aexbrown I can send you a movie. 4 days ago
- This guy: @dwitvliet only has 37 followers. If you like EM connectomics, you should add to that count! 5 days ago