Reconstructing neurons from thousands of images is typically a very dull, repetitive and labor intensive task. Some would say that the long periods of monotony, broken by occasional excitement caused by an unexpected discovery, is enough to drive you insane. Yet it is how I spent much of my time. Either because I have gone crazy or more likely out of a need to amuse myself with the task I have started to notice faces in the micrographs. This is not all that surprising really. As humans we are really pre-programmed to recognize anything that has the same proportions as a face… all we need are two dots for eyes something that looks like a mouth in the right places. As mitochondria are typically tube shaped they can very easily substitute for a mouth or a pair of eyes in an image, so most of them time these are what construct the features of the face. Sometimes, the inner membranes of the mitochondria even stain in such a way as to resemble teeth in the mouth! Perhaps it is a reflection of optimism that the vast majority of faces that I notice are smiley faces. For anyone that is amused, I’ve started collecting them and have uploaded them to a Flickr gallery. Click HERE for the link!
- RT @Allen_Institute: See what's new at the Allen Brain Atlas! brain-map.org https://t.co/Y4y52zW2ST 1 day ago
- RT @albertcardona: Dense mapping in the fly mushroom body:"A connectome of a learning and memory center in the adult #Drosophila brain" htt… 1 day ago
- RT @janeliaflyem: dense EM reconstruction of the mushroom body alpha lobes: elifesciences.org/articles/26975 1 day ago
- RT @mh_lab: SynEM: our fully automated synapse detection in cortex now online @eLife elifesciences.org/articles/26414 - top scoring on large-scale E… 2 days ago
- RT @themmorehea: recent new feature by @nathantspencer in #syGlass -- movable/resizable ROI tool! makes tracking objects much easier #VR #m… 5 days ago
- RT @HHMINEWS: .@HHMIJanelia scientists create a brain-wide atlas of fruit fly behaviors. Learn more: bit.ly/2uW4Suy https://t.co/p… 5 days ago
- RT @cMadan: Really explore your data with augmented reality! link.springer.com/article/10.100… https://t.co/FZ9h766NYx 6 days ago