This past week I was invited to speak about my work at the Institute for Neuroinformatics in Zürich, and presented a talk entitled “Comparative connectomics: Synaptic connectivity in the nematodes Caenorhabditis elegans and Pristionchus pacificus.” It was exciting for me as it as a place where there are some pretty interesting neuroscience projects going on. I talked with people doing such things as neuromorphic computing (essentially using sensors or processors that recreate vision or other senses in a similar way that our neurons do…) , large scale synaptic connectivity reconstruction and correlated LM/EM. Some of the more interesting work relates to studying the neural circuitry involved in bird song. It was also great to spend some time with my host, Albert Cardona, who works on mapping synaptic connectivity in Drosophila and is responsible for some of the software that makes what I do possible. The talk was, as far as I could tell, well received and generated a significant amount of interest… though I think maybe some of the grad students found my American accent a little humorous. It was the first time that I presented the work in essentially the way that I hope it will end up in the first paper to come out of the project… looks like I better get writing!
- RT @Numenta: Two neurons forming a synapse. The electron microscopy on the left and the 3D reconstruction on the right. By Seung Lab- @Seba… 9 hours ago
- @HHMINEWS Oh, Desmoscolex are cool nematodes.. with very cool faces! antsbeeswasps.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/nem… 9 hours ago
- RT @RusanLab: Deadline is 9/29. We hire 10-20 NIH Tenure-Track Investigator each year. irp.nih.gov/careers/trans-… 17 hours ago
- @mh_lab @nature Congratulations! 1 day ago
- RT @mh_lab: Our connectomic analysis in the entorhinal cortex now online @nature nature.com/nature/journal… -precise synapses within a wild ne… 1 day ago
- RT @albertcardona: "at least 30% of the output synapses of excitatory neurons are made onto other excitatory targets" in L2 of medial entor… 1 day ago
- RT @SebastianSeung: Congrats to my student @kisukkevinlee now number one on both @cremi_challenge and @SNEMI3D connectomics leaderboards ht… 2 days ago