This past week I was invited to speak about my work at the Institute for Neuroinformatics in Zürich, and presented a talk entitled “Comparative connectomics: Synaptic connectivity in the nematodes Caenorhabditis elegans and Pristionchus pacificus.” It was exciting for me as it as a place where there are some pretty interesting neuroscience projects going on. I talked with people doing such things as neuromorphic computing (essentially using sensors or processors that recreate vision or other senses in a similar way that our neurons do…) , large scale synaptic connectivity reconstruction and correlated LM/EM. Some of the more interesting work relates to studying the neural circuitry involved in bird song. It was also great to spend some time with my host, Albert Cardona, who works on mapping synaptic connectivity in Drosophila and is responsible for some of the software that makes what I do possible. The talk was, as far as I could tell, well received and generated a significant amount of interest… though I think maybe some of the grad students found my American accent a little humorous. It was the first time that I presented the work in essentially the way that I hope it will end up in the first paper to come out of the project… looks like I better get writing!
- RT @Monika_K_Scholz: I am looking for a PhD and a postdoc to work with me on feeding and foraging behavior in C. elegans. Startdate is flex… 2 days ago
- @Seeker talks about mapping brains, partly featuring our connectomics team: youtube.com/watch?v=qlJa6q… 3 days ago
- RT @SteveBoyer5000: If you want to DO something about the #ClimateCrisis, donate to @JayInslee’s campaign. He’s less than 5,000 donations… 3 days ago
- RT @tomkazimiers: It's finally possible to animate sections of image stacks in @catmaid's 3D Viewer. This allows to create videos like this… 4 days ago
- RT @stardazed0: An interactive reconstruction of an electron microscopy fly brain using automated segmentation: bit.ly/2X0aL7Q. Le… 4 days ago
- @aexbrown I can send you a movie. 4 days ago
- This guy: @dwitvliet only has 37 followers. If you like EM connectomics, you should add to that count! 5 days ago