This past week I was invited to speak about my work at the Institute for Neuroinformatics in Zürich, and presented a talk entitled “Comparative connectomics: Synaptic connectivity in the nematodes Caenorhabditis elegans and Pristionchus pacificus.” It was exciting for me as it as a place where there are some pretty interesting neuroscience projects going on. I talked with people doing such things as neuromorphic computing (essentially using sensors or processors that recreate vision or other senses in a similar way that our neurons do…) , large scale synaptic connectivity reconstruction and correlated LM/EM. Some of the more interesting work relates to studying the neural circuitry involved in bird song. It was also great to spend some time with my host, Albert Cardona, who works on mapping synaptic connectivity in Drosophila and is responsible for some of the software that makes what I do possible. The talk was, as far as I could tell, well received and generated a significant amount of interest… though I think maybe some of the grad students found my American accent a little humorous. It was the first time that I presented the work in essentially the way that I hope it will end up in the first paper to come out of the project… looks like I better get writing!
- RT @BWJones: #basicresearch drives literally everything we have from health to defense and quality of life. twitter.com/eric_lander/st… 48 minutes ago
- RT @NatureNews: Donald Trump’s proposed cuts to US earthquake early-warning system puts citizens at risk: go.nature.com/2rU07zY https://t… 1 day ago
- RT @ResearchGermany: #Postdocs can now apply for the Emmy Noether Programme bit.ly/1XbW6nI @dfg_public #Funding #FundingProgramme 3 days ago
- RT @rmartinledo: #Paleonemertean larva eating #Favella ehrenbergii #tintinnina #Ciliophora https://t.co/RIHWIH9KgZ 3 days ago
- RT @GeneticsGSA: Congratulations! Hodgkin's contributions include uncovering the sex determination pathway in #Celegans #Worm17 https://t.c… 3 days ago
- RT @NatureNews: The US west coast is at risk if Trump's proposed cuts to earthquake early-warning system are approved: https://t.co/osX8Dys… 3 days ago
- RT @BillGates: It's easy to take cutting-edge research for granted. But most breakthroughs that improve our lives start as government-spons… 4 days ago