This past week I was invited to speak about my work at the Institute for Neuroinformatics in Zürich, and presented a talk entitled “Comparative connectomics: Synaptic connectivity in the nematodes Caenorhabditis elegans and Pristionchus pacificus.” It was exciting for me as it as a place where there are some pretty interesting neuroscience projects going on. I talked with people doing such things as neuromorphic computing (essentially using sensors or processors that recreate vision or other senses in a similar way that our neurons do…) , large scale synaptic connectivity reconstruction and correlated LM/EM. Some of the more interesting work relates to studying the neural circuitry involved in bird song. It was also great to spend some time with my host, Albert Cardona, who works on mapping synaptic connectivity in Drosophila and is responsible for some of the software that makes what I do possible. The talk was, as far as I could tell, well received and generated a significant amount of interest… though I think maybe some of the grad students found my American accent a little humorous. It was the first time that I presented the work in essentially the way that I hope it will end up in the first paper to come out of the project… looks like I better get writing!
- RT @albertcardona: October 1st, 2017. A day that will live in infamy. #Catalonia The new Catalan Republic should make a point of governing… 9 hours ago
- RT @Allen_Institute: Create 3D neuron reconstructions by playing Mozak, an online game. 💻 mozak.science No #neuroscience experienc… 17 hours ago
- RT @RepAdamSchiff: One day at a time, one brick at a time, Trump dismantles our system of checks and balances while a cowed GOP watches on,… 20 hours ago
- RT @NCSE: Facing Public Outcry, New Mexico Restores Evolution and Global Warming to Science Standards. motherjones.com/politics/2017/… 1 day ago
- RT @albertcardona: Tough times for Spanish scientists. Those abroad can't digest their country turned sour overnight. Those in it see their… 1 day ago
- RT @SierraClub: Kathleen White, a new nominee as an environmental advisor to the WH thinks CO2 emissions as a pollutant is “absurd” https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @BWJones: There is still no science advisor to POTUS ... No other modern president has gone this long w/out a science advisor. https://t… 2 days ago