The image to the left is a network graph showing all of the synaptic connections in the pharynx of the nematode Prisitonchus pacificus. The pharyngeal nervous system in nematodes is almost entirely independent from the rest of the body, so this is essentially a map of the pharynx “brain”. The data are still unpublished, so I can’t put in the cell names yet. Still, it is a thing of beauty that I wanted to share! There are only 20 neurons in the pharynx, so it is a relatively small neural system. There are some very interesting differences in pharynx behavior between different nematode species, and eventually we would like to use such diagrams to help understand the neural basis for evolutionary changes in behavior. From this network we are already learning some very interesting and unexpected things. I’ll be presenting these data for the first time at a meeting on C. elegans neuroscience at the end of this month in Madison, Wisconsin. I am really very excited to be sharing this, and can’t wait until it moves into publication! I used the open source software Gephi (www.gephi.org) to make the graph. It is a pretty awesome package that is under active development that allows me to make some pretty nice looking representations of the data as well as do some basic analysis.
- RT @albertcardona: October 1st, 2017. A day that will live in infamy. #Catalonia The new Catalan Republic should make a point of governing… 9 hours ago
- RT @Allen_Institute: Create 3D neuron reconstructions by playing Mozak, an online game. 💻 mozak.science No #neuroscience experienc… 17 hours ago
- RT @RepAdamSchiff: One day at a time, one brick at a time, Trump dismantles our system of checks and balances while a cowed GOP watches on,… 20 hours ago
- RT @NCSE: Facing Public Outcry, New Mexico Restores Evolution and Global Warming to Science Standards. motherjones.com/politics/2017/… 1 day ago
- RT @albertcardona: Tough times for Spanish scientists. Those abroad can't digest their country turned sour overnight. Those in it see their… 1 day ago
- RT @SierraClub: Kathleen White, a new nominee as an environmental advisor to the WH thinks CO2 emissions as a pollutant is “absurd” https:/… 1 day ago
- RT @BWJones: There is still no science advisor to POTUS ... No other modern president has gone this long w/out a science advisor. https://t… 2 days ago