The image to the left is a network graph showing all of the synaptic connections in the pharynx of the nematode Prisitonchus pacificus. The pharyngeal nervous system in nematodes is almost entirely independent from the rest of the body, so this is essentially a map of the pharynx “brain”. The data are still unpublished, so I can’t put in the cell names yet. Still, it is a thing of beauty that I wanted to share! There are only 20 neurons in the pharynx, so it is a relatively small neural system. There are some very interesting differences in pharynx behavior between different nematode species, and eventually we would like to use such diagrams to help understand the neural basis for evolutionary changes in behavior. From this network we are already learning some very interesting and unexpected things. I’ll be presenting these data for the first time at a meeting on C. elegans neuroscience at the end of this month in Madison, Wisconsin. I am really very excited to be sharing this, and can’t wait until it moves into publication! I used the open source software Gephi (www.gephi.org) to make the graph. It is a pretty awesome package that is under active development that allows me to make some pretty nice looking representations of the data as well as do some basic analysis.
- RT @BWJones: #basicresearch drives literally everything we have from health to defense and quality of life. twitter.com/eric_lander/st… 46 minutes ago
- RT @NatureNews: Donald Trump’s proposed cuts to US earthquake early-warning system puts citizens at risk: go.nature.com/2rU07zY https://t… 1 day ago
- RT @ResearchGermany: #Postdocs can now apply for the Emmy Noether Programme bit.ly/1XbW6nI @dfg_public #Funding #FundingProgramme 3 days ago
- RT @rmartinledo: #Paleonemertean larva eating #Favella ehrenbergii #tintinnina #Ciliophora https://t.co/RIHWIH9KgZ 3 days ago
- RT @GeneticsGSA: Congratulations! Hodgkin's contributions include uncovering the sex determination pathway in #Celegans #Worm17 https://t.c… 3 days ago
- RT @NatureNews: The US west coast is at risk if Trump's proposed cuts to earthquake early-warning system are approved: https://t.co/osX8Dys… 3 days ago
- RT @BillGates: It's easy to take cutting-edge research for granted. But most breakthroughs that improve our lives start as government-spons… 4 days ago