On Septmember 3rd, our lab had a little retreat. Our day began with a bus ride to the Ritter Sport chocolate factory, which is just on the other side of the Schonbuch forest from Tuebingen. There we had a nice breakfast, went to a discount chocolate shop where some of it was half of the normal price and saw a very cheesy movie demonstrating how they make the chocolate. The highlight of the factory was a little diorama where if you pressed a button, a little toy truck drove out and gave you a piece of chocolate. Free chocolate! It was like a happy dream land. After this, we went for quite a long walk from the factory to a picnic shelter in the forest. It was raining, and I am pretty sure that most of us did not anticipate that we would be getting wet. We were rewarded finally though with beer and a fire to cook some meat on. After a few beers and some food, some of us went back on the bus, while a few of us (myself included) decided to walk the rest of the way back to Tuebingen through the forest. It was a great walk, mostly along a little stream. We timed it just right, getting back to the institute at just about sunset. I am pretty sure that we all had a good time, and many of us will occasionally dream about this little chocolate dispensing truck…. A Flickr gallery of images can be found HERE.
- RT @314action: One. Hundred. Times. blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/t… 18 hours ago
- @DARPA The availability of massive datasets of cortical synapse-level wiring(ours and others) is increasing dramati… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- RT @DARPA: Virtual Intelligence Processing (VIP), our newest AI Exploration Opportunity, will enable new computing models & processing arch… 19 hours ago
- @KennethHayworth @neurowitz I wouldn't want to do it without truly unattended operation.. (one of several problems… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- @neurowitz @KennethHayworth I worry that back of the envelope calculations don't take into account that difficulty… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @albertcardona: Are you applying for a faculty position? My @HHMIJanelia colleague @erik_snapp has compiled the advice he gives to our p… 2 days ago
- Sometimes it feels that by substituting the word "encodes" for "correlates with" we are just trying to pretend we k… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago