I attended the Nematode Tree of Life Dorylaimia workshop. Nematologists from all over the world flew out for the occasion so it was a great chance to meet with old friends and make some new ones. Many thanks to the De Ley lab for their organizational efforts. It was held at the James Reserve, one of the field stations of the University of California. Their website, incidentally, has some great webcams on it. I brought along a battery operated blacklight, generously loaned to me by the UCR Entomology Museum, to try and collect some beetles. Many beetles that show up to blacklights have nematodes associated with them, either as parasites or just hitching a ride. I’ll post an update if I manage to find anything interesting on them. I also remembered to bring my fly rod up for a little fishing at “Lake” Fulmor, a pond adjacent to the reserve. The meeting wrapped up with dinner at the Gastrognome, a seafood place in Idyllwild, and a discussion of future collaborative projects. Please be sure to check out my photo album of the event Here. Also, see Mark Blaxter’s excellent photographic evidence from this event and the SON meeting Here.
- RT @halpsci: For the first time, legislation to protect scientific integrity in government has passed out of a House Committee with both Re… 4 days ago
- RT @maxplanckpress: The Max Planck Society is looking for nominations for directors: scientific freedom, outstanding infrastructure & compe… 5 days ago
- RT @dumpyunc: I am super excited I was able to pick up a (cheap) 1st edition copy of AY's Neuroanatomy of C. elegans for Computation. They… 6 days ago
- RT @naturemethods: mEosEM can survive both osmium treatment AND Epon embedding for improved super-resolution CLEM! nature.com/articles/s4159…… 1 week ago
- RT @gottapatchemall: Impact of higher-order network structure on emergent cortical activity biorxiv.org/content/10.110… https://t.co/GsUjY2a78R 1 week ago
- I just googled "c++ type erasure pointers to member functions" and I don't know what poor life choices have led to this moment. 1 week ago
- RT @carlzimmer: Ex-EPA scientists to release air pollution report they say agency unqualified to issue nbcnews.com/news/us-news/f… via @nbcnews 1 week ago