I attended the Nematode Tree of Life Dorylaimia workshop. Nematologists from all over the world flew out for the occasion so it was a great chance to meet with old friends and make some new ones. Many thanks to the De Ley lab for their organizational efforts. It was held at the James Reserve, one of the field stations of the University of California. Their website, incidentally, has some great webcams on it. I brought along a battery operated blacklight, generously loaned to me by the UCR Entomology Museum, to try and collect some beetles. Many beetles that show up to blacklights have nematodes associated with them, either as parasites or just hitching a ride. I’ll post an update if I manage to find anything interesting on them. I also remembered to bring my fly rod up for a little fishing at “Lake” Fulmor, a pond adjacent to the reserve. The meeting wrapped up with dinner at the Gastrognome, a seafood place in Idyllwild, and a discussion of future collaborative projects. Please be sure to check out my photo album of the event Here. Also, see Mark Blaxter’s excellent photographic evidence from this event and the SON meeting Here.
- RT @AllenFrontiers: Terrific work from Allen Distinguished Investigator Jay Shendure and colleagues. #Frontiers nytimes.com/2017/08/17/sci… 2 days ago
- RT @PavelTomancak: This I call a no bullshit PI job advertisement. #IMBA is looking for scientists. Period. twitter.com/alexanderstark… 2 days ago
- False Equivalency reporting has had a huge impact on public perception of global warming, other science issues.. twitter.com/NeedhiBhalla/s… 3 days ago
- RT @GlennKesslerWP: The Trump administration just disbanded a federal advisory committee on climate change wapo.st/2xf7dkY?tid=ss… 3 days ago
- More anti-science with real implications for real people. Thanks for nothing Trump! twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/… 4 days ago
- RT @Allen_Institute: We are bringing together gaming and scientific discovery with @MozakCGS, a collaborative project with @UWGameScience h… 5 days ago
- RT @Allen_Institute: “How does the brain work?” See how we are tackling this question with the Allen Brain Observatory: https://t.co/hBN8ER… 5 days ago