I attended the Nematode Tree of Life Dorylaimia workshop. Nematologists from all over the world flew out for the occasion so it was a great chance to meet with old friends and make some new ones. Many thanks to the De Ley lab for their organizational efforts. It was held at the James Reserve, one of the field stations of the University of California. Their website, incidentally, has some great webcams on it. I brought along a battery operated blacklight, generously loaned to me by the UCR Entomology Museum, to try and collect some beetles. Many beetles that show up to blacklights have nematodes associated with them, either as parasites or just hitching a ride. I’ll post an update if I manage to find anything interesting on them. I also remembered to bring my fly rod up for a little fishing at “Lake” Fulmor, a pond adjacent to the reserve. The meeting wrapped up with dinner at the Gastrognome, a seafood place in Idyllwild, and a discussion of future collaborative projects. Please be sure to check out my photo album of the event Here. Also, see Mark Blaxter’s excellent photographic evidence from this event and the SON meeting Here.
- RT @DanRather: Science is a threat to the world of President Trump and his ilk. It is because it pierces the bubble of lies and deception.… 1 hour ago
- @matosches @AllenInstitute Incidentally, she is starting up a new lab and likely has some great opportunities available... 1 day ago
- Nice talk by @matosches at our @allenInstitute Showcase symposium on evolution of cell types and brain regions. Com… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @matosches: A new adventure begins! The Tosches Lab opens @Columbia University. Looking for students, postdocs and lab technician. Inter… 1 day ago
- RT @SteveHRO: Impressive 3D reconstruction of sponge choanocyte twitter.com/cppape/status/… 1 day ago
- RT @RBReich: The President of the United States has been fined $2 million for misusing his charity to further his business and political in… 1 day ago
- @PeterGleick @dacolon "How the New York Times got climate change so wrong." They spent decades not putting it on th… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago