I attended the Nematode Tree of Life Dorylaimia workshop. Nematologists from all over the world flew out for the occasion so it was a great chance to meet with old friends and make some new ones. Many thanks to the De Ley lab for their organizational efforts. It was held at the James Reserve, one of the field stations of the University of California. Their website, incidentally, has some great webcams on it. I brought along a battery operated blacklight, generously loaned to me by the UCR Entomology Museum, to try and collect some beetles. Many beetles that show up to blacklights have nematodes associated with them, either as parasites or just hitching a ride. I’ll post an update if I manage to find anything interesting on them. I also remembered to bring my fly rod up for a little fishing at “Lake” Fulmor, a pond adjacent to the reserve. The meeting wrapped up with dinner at the Gastrognome, a seafood place in Idyllwild, and a discussion of future collaborative projects. Please be sure to check out my photo album of the event Here. Also, see Mark Blaxter’s excellent photographic evidence from this event and the SON meeting Here.
- RT @SenJeffMerkley: A free press—where journalists can pursue any story, regardless of politicians’ or admins’ agendas—is how we know the m… 8 hours ago
- RT @viajake: Using dense, large-field-of-view 2P imaging we find a global map of orientation in mouse visual cortex. We're as surprised as… 2 days ago
- RT @neurojoy: Human and mouse cortical types could be compared between each other in a systematic way. About 16K cells were analyzed. New s… 3 days ago
- RT @NIMHgov: Watch how scientists are one step closer to building a complete “parts list” of the human brain @AllenInstitute @NIMHDirector… 4 days ago
- RT @AllenInstitute: A new study from our brain science team reveals the most detailed “parts list” of the human brain to date. This could i… 4 days ago
- RT @TonyZador: Announcing NAISys Neuro-AI meeting March 24-28, 2020 at CSHL with many great speakers including @ylecun @tyrell_turing @Kord… 4 days ago
- @nanographs Can I get one? You can't look in them all at the same time! 5 days ago