I attended the Nematode Tree of Life Dorylaimia workshop. Nematologists from all over the world flew out for the occasion so it was a great chance to meet with old friends and make some new ones. Many thanks to the De Ley lab for their organizational efforts. It was held at the James Reserve, one of the field stations of the University of California. Their website, incidentally, has some great webcams on it. I brought along a battery operated blacklight, generously loaned to me by the UCR Entomology Museum, to try and collect some beetles. Many beetles that show up to blacklights have nematodes associated with them, either as parasites or just hitching a ride. I’ll post an update if I manage to find anything interesting on them. I also remembered to bring my fly rod up for a little fishing at “Lake” Fulmor, a pond adjacent to the reserve. The meeting wrapped up with dinner at the Gastrognome, a seafood place in Idyllwild, and a discussion of future collaborative projects. Please be sure to check out my photo album of the event Here. Also, see Mark Blaxter’s excellent photographic evidence from this event and the SON meeting Here.
- RT @314action: One. Hundred. Times. blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/t… 18 hours ago
- @DARPA The availability of massive datasets of cortical synapse-level wiring(ours and others) is increasing dramati… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- RT @DARPA: Virtual Intelligence Processing (VIP), our newest AI Exploration Opportunity, will enable new computing models & processing arch… 19 hours ago
- @KennethHayworth @neurowitz I wouldn't want to do it without truly unattended operation.. (one of several problems… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- @neurowitz @KennethHayworth I worry that back of the envelope calculations don't take into account that difficulty… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @albertcardona: Are you applying for a faculty position? My @HHMIJanelia colleague @erik_snapp has compiled the advice he gives to our p… 2 days ago
- Sometimes it feels that by substituting the word "encodes" for "correlates with" we are just trying to pretend we k… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago