I attended the Nematode Tree of Life Dorylaimia workshop. Nematologists from all over the world flew out for the occasion so it was a great chance to meet with old friends and make some new ones. Many thanks to the De Ley lab for their organizational efforts. It was held at the James Reserve, one of the field stations of the University of California. Their website, incidentally, has some great webcams on it. I brought along a battery operated blacklight, generously loaned to me by the UCR Entomology Museum, to try and collect some beetles. Many beetles that show up to blacklights have nematodes associated with them, either as parasites or just hitching a ride. I’ll post an update if I manage to find anything interesting on them. I also remembered to bring my fly rod up for a little fishing at “Lake” Fulmor, a pond adjacent to the reserve. The meeting wrapped up with dinner at the Gastrognome, a seafood place in Idyllwild, and a discussion of future collaborative projects. Please be sure to check out my photo album of the event Here. Also, see Mark Blaxter’s excellent photographic evidence from this event and the SON meeting Here.
- RT @MHendr1cks: @OdedRechavi @neurowitz @dileeplearning @aexbrown Almost all mammalian neurons release 1 or more peptides, in addition to N… 19 hours ago
- RT @ScienceJulia: One government researcher comes in to feed his bugs green beans and collards. Another sneaks into the lab to maintain a… 2 days ago
- RT @BioImagingUK: #jobsInMicroscopy Senior Optical Microscopist to join the #Bioimaging facility providing light and electron microscopy se… 3 days ago
- 800000 people not getting their paychecks, science suffering all over the place sciencemag.org/news/2019/01/u… and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- RT @jenheemstra: Grad students, when you hear that you should be “independent” you might think that means you can’t ask for help. Quite the… 4 days ago
- RT @AllenInstitute: New preprint from our Brain Science team! Transcriptomic evidence for dense peptidergic neuromodulation networks in mou… 5 days ago
- RT @INCForg: The @AllenInstitute for Brain Science has a scientist level position available to design modern machine learning methods for t… 5 days ago